Casey Ryan, MD – President
Role: President and practicing physician
Responsibility: Provides overall leadership to Altru Health System.
- Colorado College (Colorado Springs, CO)
- University of Colorado Medical Center (Denver, CO)
- Mayo School of Medicine (Rochester, MN)
- Registrar in Endocrinology at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand
- Served on Altru’s Board of Directors from 1982 to 1995
- Vice president of the Grand Forks Clinic for three years and president for six years
Email Casey Ryan
Dave Molmen – Chief Executive Officer
Role: Chief Executive Officer
Responsibility: Provides business management leadership and oversees Altru’s non-physician staff.
- Concordia Moorhead (Moorhead, MN)
Bachelor of Arts in health care, finance and psychology
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN)
Master in Public Health and Credential of Advanced Studies in Health Services Administration
- Former Chief Operating Officer for Altru Health System and United Hospital
- Former Chief Executive Officer of Midwest medical Group in Denver, CO
- Former Associate Administrator of Grand Forks Clinic and Administrator of the Grand Forks Orthopedic Clinic
- Current Chair of the North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences Advisory Council
“I remind myself everyday that I’m here to make a difference for the people we serve. Our mission gives my work purpose and I’m inspired by the opportunity to serve others.”
Email Dave Molmen
Brad Wehe – Chief Operating Officer
Role: Chief Operating Officer
Responsibility: Directs the efforts of the system in achieving its mission through the coordination and oversight of daily operations.
- Mayville State University (Mayville, ND)
Bachelor of science in biology
- Mayo School of Medicine (Rochester, MN)
Degree in physical therapy
- Former Administrative Director of Regional Operations at Altru
- Serves on several boards including the North Regional Health Alliance, Mayo Physical Therapy Alumni Association, and Mayo School of Health Related Sciences
“My desire to help others in need led me to a career in health care. As a physical therapist, it was always an inspirational experience to help a patient realize the impossible. In my current role, I draw on those experiences for motivation and guidance in moving our health system forward. Each day provides a fun challenge in putting the pieces together to affect positive outcomes for the patients we serve.”
Email Brad Wehe
Dwight Thompson – Chief Financial Officer
Role: Chief Financial Officer
Responsibility: Provides leadership in areas of strategic financial planning, revenue cycle, accounting & finance, budget/reimbursement, coding compliance, doctor compensation, patient financial services, and treasury & compliance.
- University of North Dakota (Grand Forks, ND)
Bachelor of science in business administration with a major in accounting
- University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, MN)
Masters in health care administration
- Certified Public Accountant and Fellow in Health Care Financial Management Association
- Past member of the national board of directors of the Healthcare Financial Management Association and is a member of the North Dakota and American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Serves as board member in several related and unrelated organizations
“My career in health care started with an accounting internship at United Hospital while I was attending UND. That exposure ignited my interest in pursuing health care finance employment upon graduation. The ability to practice the full range of business and financial activities are certainly attractive. The human elements of working in health care also make it a career choice that is very rewarding and challenging.
In the Finance Division we try to further Altru's mission - Improving Health, Enriching Life - by providing the services at the front and back end of the care experience for the patient in a service oriented fashion. It is very important for all of us to do our part to serve those patients in a highly effective manner. We constantly strive for service excellence. Also, parts of our division serve directly those who provide the direct patient care. We are committed to performing our financial functions in a way that helps them do their jobs effectively.
For myself, the 29 years that I have spent with this organization in its various forms have been very rewarding. On a professional level I've been able to experience the full range of challenges in a rapidly changing field. On a personal level, I've been able to see people at their best. Also, I've been able to work with people that I like and admire.”
Email Dwight Thompson
Dennis Reisnour – Chief Planning Executive
Role: Chief Planning Executive
Responsibility: Leads the development of Altru’s strategic plan and directs the marketing, communication and overall management of Altru’s brand.
- University of North Dakota (Grand Forks, ND)
Bachelor of science
- Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ)
Masters in health services administration
- Current Chief Executive Officer for Altru Health Resources
- Former Director of Planning and Marketing of a three-hospital system in Dallas, TX
- Serves on the board of directors of the Grand Forks Region Economic Development Corporation
"I'm moved every time I hear from a patient or family about how our staff made a positive difference in someone's life. Even in the worst circumstances, such as the death of a loved one, people take the time to talk about the wonderful care they received at Altru. If my work in some small way makes things better or easier for the people providing care, it's all worth it."
Email Dennis Reisnour
Kellee Fisk– Chief People Resources Executive
Role: Chief People Resources Executive
Responsibility: Guides the development of an engaged employee culture focused on working together to serve our patients and community. Builds and leads a talented team of employees with expertise in human resources, learning and organizational development, pastoral services and volunteer leadership.
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Minor in Economics
Masters in Business Administration (MBA)
- Vice President for People Resources & Chief Strategy Officer for Billings Clinic in Billings Montana
- Executive Director, Strategic Marketing and Planning, Billings Clinic
- Served as Board Chair for United Way of Yellowstone County, Billings Montana
- Served as Board Chair for Head Start of Yellowstone County, Billings Montana
"I believe people need to contribute to something meaningful and want to make a difference. Serving in a leadership role in non-profit health care for over 25 years has pushed me to give the best every day as our patients and community count on us to care for each other and their families. My purpose as a leader is to connect people’s potential with their goals and their desire to serve and care for one another."
Email Kellee Fisk
Margaret Reed, RN – Chief Nurse Executive
Role: Chief Nurse Executive/Administrative Director of Inpatient Services
Responsibility: Ensures standards of care and scope of practice are maintained through leadership of inpatient units, hospital nursing administration and vascular access.
- Trinity School of Nursing (Diploma in Nursing)
- University of North Dakota School of Nursing (BSN)
- University of St. Thomas (MBA in Medical Group Management)
- Certified in Ambulatory Surgery Administrator through AORN
- Former Administrative Department Director of Surgical Services, Patient Care Manager and Supervisor, Staff Nurse, Medical Surgical and Staff Nurse Renal
- Active in several professional organizations including American Organization of Nurse Executives, North Dakota Healthcare Association, VHA Nurse Ex Affinity Group, a member of Sigma Theta Tau, Upper Midwest Nursing Council, the American Nurses Association, Association of Operating Room Nurses.
- President of the North Dakota Center for Nursing
- St. Mary Elementary School Board
- Sacred Hearts' National Advisory Board
- Served on the United Way Board of Directors (Past President)
- Sacred Heart School Board (Past President)
- North Dakota Organization of Nurse Director (Past President)
“As a second generation nurse, I am motivated by patients receiving outstanding excellence in care. I love being a nurse and caring for the patients. In my position, I now care for the patients by setting the standards for nursing to follow in their practice"
Email Margaret Reed
Eric Lunn, MD – Chief Medical Executive
Role: Chief Medical Executive and practicing pediatrician
Responsibility: Provides leadership to the physicians at Altru Health System
North Dakota State University--Bachelor of Science
University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences--Bachelor of Science in Medicine
University of South Carolina School of Medicine--Medical Degree
University of Texas Medical Branch--Pediatric residency
“Since childhood I wanted to be a pediatrician. I have always enjoyed helping others and have a strong interest in prevention, so pediatrics was a natural fit for me. I have been blessed with a career in pediatrics that has, and continues, to bring me great enjoyment and satisfaction. In my administrative role I am motivated to helping my fellow employees create an environment to work in that brings them great enjoyment and satisfaction in their jobs while keeping focused on our primary responsibility, the patient and their family.”
Email Eric Lunn
William McKinnon, MD, FACEP – Medical Director of Regional Operations
Medical Director of Regional Operations and practicing emergency medicine physician
Responsibility: Coordinate improved access to Altru’s resources for patients and providers throughout the region
- Rural family medicine practice, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin 1987 - 1991
- Practicing emergency medicine physician at Altru Health System since 1991
- Emergency Outpatient Department Altru Health System Medical Director 1996 - 2011
- Chair Department of Emergency Medicine and Urgent Care Services Altru Health System 2004 - present
- Clinical associate professor Department of Family Medicine, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences 1991 - present
- Instructor American Heart Association Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Life Support
“My experience in the military as a Medical Corpsman caring for ill and injured military personnel was a major influence in choosing a career in health care and in the area of emergency medicine. My experience, from emergency medical technician to registered nurse to physician assistant/nurse practitioner and now, physician, has allowed me to develop a valuable knowledge and understanding of the workings of the health care team. In my role as Medical Director of Regional Operations I will be calling on all of that experience to provide support to Altru's outstanding medical and support staff in the region as we move forward with Altru's mission of improving health and enriching life for the patients we serve.”
Email William McKinnon
Mark Siegel, MD – Medical Director of Quality Management and Safety
Role: Medical Director of Quality Management and Safety
Responsibility: Oversees the quality management and patient safety aspects of Altru Health System.
- University of California, Berkeley (Berkeley, CA)
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine (Los Angeles, CA)
Senior Registrar Associate in General Surgery
- Board certified
- American Board of Surgery
- Current Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Surgery at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
“I always knew I wanted to follow my father into a medical career. I choose surgery as a specialty because it lets you interact with patients, solve diagnostic problems, and the see the results of your therapy. As I now have administrative duties, I am pleased to coordinate surgical services at Altru Health System so that our current surgeons can continue to provide excellent care to our community.”
Email Mark Siegel
Scott Charette, MD – Medical Director of Surgical Services
Role: Medical Director of Surgical Services and practicing physician
Responsibility: Oversees Altru's operating room, same day surgery, ambulatory procedure center, and the trauma program
"Anatomy, physiology, medicine, -- These have always been an interest of mine, as well as what makes things work, that part I get from my Dad. I think being a physician is pretty much what God had planned for me. The particular field of surgery attracted me because of the ability to directly intervene in disease and injuries and “fix” things. The results can be highly rewarding. I enjoy the close relationship one develops with patients as individuals in these situations.
My motivation in an administrative role is the people of the region. They are hard working individuals who are always there to help their neighbors and each other. It is our responsibility to take care of them in their time of illness/injury. I want Altru to provide compassionate care that is of the highest quality."
Email Scott Charette
Colleen Swank, MD – Medical Director of Primary Care
Role: Medical Director of Primary Care and practicing pediatrician
Responsibility: Provides medical oversight of physician practices in all primary care clinics and specialties
- University of North Dakota School of Medicine (Grand Forks, ND)
- University of Utah, Primary Children’s Medical Center (Salt Lake City, UT)
- Chair of the Department of Pediatrics
- Former Chair of the Council of Chairs
- Current clinical professorship at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
“I chose a career in pediatrics because I enjoy watching children grow. It is so fun to see the delight and pride in parents as they watch their children progress through the developmental stages. Although I also get immense satisfaction from making sick children feel better, I see my role more as being an advocate for the prevention of disease - making sure children are vaccinated, using car seats appropriately, wearing helmets, using seatbelts, staying active, limiting screen time, and developing healthy habits that hopefully will stay with them through adulthood.”
Email Colleen Swank
Renee Axtman, RN – Administrative Director of Primary Care
Role: Administrative Director of Primary Care
Responsibility: Supports the delivery of primary care services in the areas of Grand Forks Family Medicine Residency, psychiatry, obstetrics/gynecology, family medicine, Altru’s Diabetes Center, dermatology, pediatrics, Truyu Aesthetic Center, pharmacy, pediatrics, ambulance services, emergency outpatient department, urgent care, bariatric support, Safe Kids, and practice development.
- University of North Dakota School (Grand Forks, ND)
Bachelors degree in nursing
- Former Executive Leader for Psychiatry/Chemical Dependency and Family Focused Care Centers
- Practicing nurse in areas of psychiatry, behavioral health and orthopedic/urology from 1983-1997
- Active member of the American Organization of Nurse Executives and the Volunteer Hospitals of America Upper Midwest
“It is an honor and privilege when a person entrusts their care and lives to us. Everyday I get to see and hear stories of how someone has made a difference in the life of a patient, a family member or co-worker. When I look around and see the talent, skills and compassion of those that work here at Altru, it makes me proud to be a nurse and to serve as an Altru leader.”
Email Renee Axtman
Kerry Carlson – Administrative Director of Medical Specialty Care
Role: Administrative Director of Medical Specialty Care
Responsibility: Provides strategic support and leadership for Altru Cancer Center, allergy, gastroenterology, palliative care, research, internal medicine, endocrinology, geriatrics, pulmonology, nephrology, critical care, respiratory care, sleep disorders, pulmonary function lab, renal dialysis, research center, bio-ethics, infectious disease, and IRB.
- University of North Dakota School (Grand Forks, ND)
Bachelors degree in business administration
University of Mary (Bismarck, ND)
Masters degree in business administration
- Former Executive Director of Altru Home Services
“Legacies are not left by those who erect towers, monuments or statues, but endure in the hearts and minds of those whom we have showered with acts of kindness, selflessness, and caring. I believe it is within each of us to give more of ourselves than we deserve nor receive. I am inspired each day by the acts of every employee here at Altru, who consistently give so much of themselves to others and have created their own legacy."
Email Kerry Carlson
Jon Green – Executive Director of Altru Health Foundation
Role: Executive Director of Altru Health Foundation
Responsibility: Provides overall operational leadership of Altru Health Foundation in its role of working with the community to provide financial security for Altru’s patient care programs.
- University of North Dakota School (Grand Forks, ND)
Bachelors degree in business administration and personnel management
- Former Manager of physician Services/Regional Relations and Manager of Medical Education
- Nineteen years experience with Altru Health System
- Active community member through involvement with United Way, several educational institutions, the Altru Y Family Center, and his church
“I am so fortunate to witness the joy that our donors experience when they give a gift of support through the Foundation and then be able to see the difference their gifts make in the lives of the patients who benefit from our donors' generosity.”
Email Jon Green
Kelly Hagen, RN – Administrative Director of Cardiology/Musculoskeletal Services
Role: Administrative Director of Cardiology/Musculoskeletal Services
Responsibility: Provides direction for cardiology, neurology, orthopedics, podiatry, occupational health/medicine, pain management, employee health, speech therapy, audiology, outpatient therapy, neurodiagnostic laboratory, and prosthetics & orthotics.
Email Kelly Hagen
Joel Rotvold – Executive Physician Recruiter
Role: Executive Physician Recruiter
Responsibility: Coordinates the recruitment and retention of physician staff in order to meet the changing health care needs of our community.
“I've worked in health care for 35 years and along my journey (especially in the upper Midwest and most certainly at Altru), I've encountered countless staff and providers that truly care and make life better for our patients - these are the kind of individuals we search for in our role as physician recruiters. It shouldn't be surprising to find compassionate care givers, as this is the reason they've chosen health care, but it is gratifying when we find truly good people to serve our patients and our communities.”
Email Joel Rotvold
Ken Vein – Administrative Director of Plant and Facilities
Role: Administrative Director of Plant and Facilities
Responsibility: As an engineer, Ken oversees the design & construction, maintenance, safety & management, environmental services, and biomedical engineering for all of Altru’s facilities.
- Former Director of Public Works/City Engineer for the City of Grand Forks
- Active with Crimestoppers, the Altru Y Family Center, the American Society of Healthcare engineering
- Board member of International Water Institute and of ND Water Users Association
“I have always had a passion for public service, and it is tremendously rewarding to specialize in health care where I can positively impact the well being of patients and staff. At Altru I have the privilege of being part of a great team that is equally passionate about health care and together we get to deliver great outcomes.”
Email Ken Vein
Mark Waind – Administrative Director of Information Services
Role: Administrative Director of Information Services
Responsibility: Leads the management, implementation and maintenance of Altru’s information services, telecommunications, chart management, transcription services, and medical records.
- Former Administrative Director of Business Services and the Manager of Information Services for the Grand Forks Clinic
- Member of the College of Healthcare Information Executives, the Healthcare Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS), and the North Dakota Medical Group Management Association
- Board member of Altru Alliance, the Minnesota Epic User Group and the North Dakota HIMSS chapter
“I have always had an interest in health care. My mom was a nurse for over 35 years and she was my role model for all the attributes of a good health care employee; caring, compassionate and always went the extra mile for the patient. I guess she was partly responsible for my health care career. In my leadership role, I’m proud to provide better tools to assist our providers in delivering excellent patient care and in going the extra mile to do what’s right for our patients.”
Email Mark Waind
Jill Wilson – Administrative Director of Regional Operations
Role: Administrative Director of Regional Operations and Clinical Support Services
Responsibility: Collaborates with physicians, staff and community members throughout the region to provide quality health care services in their local area. Specific areas of responsibility include home health, hospice, retail pharmacy, outreach rehab services, regional services and clinics, durable medical equipment sales, infusion therapy, and rehab technology. Supports the successful delivery of patient care in the areas of pathology, radiology, laboratory.
- University of North Dakota, Bachelor degree in Occupational Therapy
- Staff Occupational Therapist, Altru Outreach Therapy Services
- Supervisor, Altru Outreach Therapy Services
- Manager, Altru Outreach Therapy Services
“I have always had a passion for helping others so healthcare was a natural fit for me. Growing up in a small rural town helped me understand the value of having the highest quality health care close to home. Whether providing services through our regions' clinics or partnering with the community's local healthcare provider, I strongly believe that when we work together all of our patients benefit. Being part of enhancing patient care in our region makes me proud to be a leader at Altru.”
Email Jill Wilson
Heather Strandell – Administrative Director of Care Management
Role: Administrative Director of Care Management
Responsibility: Quality Improvement, Regulatory Compliance, Patient Safety, Risk Management, Service Excellence, Patient Care Representatives, Guest Services, Utilization Review, Social Work, Case Management, Clinical Documentation, Managed Care, Medical Home, Credentialing, Peer Review, and Switchboard.
- University of North Dakota, Bachelor of Accounting
- Manager of Utilization Management/Managed Care (Altru Health System)
- Executive Director (North Region Health Alliance)
- Director of Blue Care (Blue Cross Blue Shield of ND)
- Network Consultant (Blue Cross Blue Shield of ND)
- Network Finance Coordinator (Lutheran Health Systems)
"I always had an interest in healthcare because it is an industry that is ever changing and so important to people's lives. I am privileged to work in a division that supports our organization in providing quality and safe patient care. Although our division does not provide direct patient care, we do work with physicians, nurses, and ancillary staff to make sure they have standardized processes and resources to enhance the patient's experience."
Email Heather Strandell
Joseph Myers, RN – Administrative Director of Surgical Services
Role: Administrative Director of Surgical Services
Supports the delivery of services in the areas of Surgery, PACU, Same Day Surgery, Anesthesia, Anesthesiology, Endoscopy and Outpatient Procedure Center, and Pre-procedure Center, as well the departments of Surgery, Vascular Surgery, Urology, ENT, Ophthalmology, Neurosurgery, and Cardiovascular.
- University of North Dakota, Bachelor of Arts History
- University of North Daktoa, Bachelor of Science Nursing
- RN, First Assistant Certificate Professional Nursing Seminars/Northern New Mexico Community College
- Staff Nurse Surgery Department (United Hospital/ Altru Health System)
- Clinical Instructor Surgical Technology Program (Northwest Tech)
- Department Manager Same Day Surgery (United Hospital)
- Assistant Director of Nursing OR, PACU, Outpatient Procedure (Asbury Salina Regional,Salina KS)
- Neurosurgery Coordinator Surgery Department (United Hospital/ Altru Hospital)
- RN First Assistant Surgery Department (Altru Health System)
- Surgery Financial Analyst/Informatics Coordinator (Altru Health System)
- Interim Surgery Department Manager (Altru Health System)
- Interim Administrative Department Director Surgical Services (Altru Health System)
- Veteran of the US Army and active service in the US Army Reserve.
- Active member of the American Nurses Association, The North Dakota Nurses Association (past Board Member) and the Association of Peri-Operative Nurses (AORN) (Past Chapter President)
"As a nurse, I have always had an interest in providing the best experience possible for the surgical patient. Our patients are often at a very important and often critical point in their lives when they need a surgical intervention. I believe that we, in Surgical Services, provide excellent care during each and every encounter. I have done my best in each of my roles to ensure that this happens and promise that I will not waiver in that commitment to those we serve."
Email Joseph Myers