The Altru Shadowing Program allows students and adults the opportunity to observe work in a health care career of their choice.
Each shadowing experience is two hours in length. The shadow will be assigned to a staff member in a chosen career field and will learn about educational requirements, career advancement and daily job duties.
Students in grades 11 and 12 can participate. The program is also available to college students and individuals interested in health care or considering a career change.
High school students must work through their school guidance counselor or principal. The student should contact the counselor or principal about his/her field of interest, who will contact the Shadowing Program Coordinator.
All other interested individuals should make direct arrangements through the Shadowing Program Coordinator, 701.780.5834.
Arrangements should be made at least three weeks in advance. As soon as scheduling has been finalized, written confirmation will be sent to both the shadow and the mentor.
Shadowing Program Information
- Appointments are scheduled for weekdays only, 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- If participants are unable to keep appointments, they must contact the Shadowing Program Coordinator at 701.780.5834.
- Participants will be asked to sign a confidentiality statement to protect our patients' privacy.
- Professional attire and comfortable shoes must be worn to the shadowing appointment.
Areas of Interest Available For Shadowing
- Biomed Engineering
- Cardiac Cath Lab
- Food and Nutrition
- Hand Therapy
- Information Systems**
- Lab (Medical Technologist, Medical Lab Technician, Phlebotomist, Cytotechnologist)
- Nuclear Medicine
- Nursing Specialties: Anesthesia*, Cancer Care, Cardiology, Chemotherapy, Emergency, Medical/Surgical, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit***, Orthopedics, Pediatrics, Post-Anesthesia Recovery*, Rehabilitation, Renal Dialysis, Surgery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Provider Specialties*** (physician, physician assistant, nurse practitioner)
Allergy, Immunology, Cardiology, Critical Care, Dermatology, Ear/Nose/Throat, Family Practice, Gastroenterology, Hematology/Oncology, Internal Medicine, Neonatology, OB/GYN, Occupational Medicine, Ophthalmology, Optometry, Orthopedics, Pain Management, Pathology, Podiatry, Pulmonology, Radiation Oncology, Sports Medicine, Urology, Vascular
- Print Services
- Public Relations
- Radiation Therapy
- Respiratory Care
- Social Work**
- Speech/Language Pathology
* Open only to nursing students
** Open only to high school seniors and above
*** Open only to college students