Prevention. Fitness. Nutrition. That’s what Altru’s Healthy Choices community is all about. We’ll provide tips and information to help keep you and your family healthy and happy.
Join our Healthy Choices facebook community, check out the blog and subscribe to Healthy Choice eNews to stay up-to-date on all things health & wellness.
Stay hydrated before, during and after a run.
Follow these simple tips:
- The Day Before a race, eat and drink sufficiently
- On race day drink water, milk, fruit juice and sports drinks up to an hour prior to your run.
- During a run sports drinks are a good source of energy, and the sodium they contain may help stimulate thirst and replace electrolytes lost through sweat.
- After a run drink veggie juice, chocolate milk, smoothies or fruit juice. These are great options during recovery.
Prevent Muscle Cramps.
- Avoid dehydration. Drink plenty of liquids every day. Fluids help your muscles contract and relax and keep muscle cells hydrated and less irritable. During activity, replenish fluids at regular intervals, and continue drinking water or other fluids after you've finished exercising.
- Stretch your muscles. Stretch before and after you use any muscle for an extended period. If you tend to have leg cramps at night, stretch before bedtime. Light exercise, such as riding a stationary bicycle for a few minutes before bedtime, also may help prevent cramps while you're sleeping.
Fish is a great lean source of protein. It’s healthiest when baked or grilled, try our recipe for grilled halibut with fruit salsa (see recipe gallery).
Medical Fitness Class Schedule