The bad news: heart disease is the number one cause of death in America, killing more people each year than AIDS and all forms of cancer combined.
The good news: 80 percent of heart disease is preventable. And, prevention is easier than you might think. These simple lifestyle changes can have life-saving impact.
- Get quality sleep. Small differences, like changing your bedtime routine or turning off screens at night, can make a big difference. Most adults need between seven and nine hours of sleep every night. If you are having trouble sleeping, contact Altru’s Sleep Center.
- Eat healthfully. Boost your heart health by eating at least five servings of vegetables and fruits every day. Need help? Contact Altru’s registered dietitians.
- Be physically active. If you’re not already hitting the gym regularly, start small by going for short walks throughout the day. As always, check with your doctor before starting a new exercise routine.
- If you smoke, quit. Smoking cessation is particularly important in controlling and preventing heart disease. For more information about quitting, visit with Altru’s tobacco cessation specialists.
- Know your numbers. Blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol and weight can all play a factor in heart health. Schedule regular appointments with your doctor to keep tabs on these key numbers.
- Manage stress. Under stress, you may react with unhealthy behaviors, like skipping a workout, overeating or smoking. Relax or do something you enjoy for at least 10 minutes daily.
Learn more about preventing a heart attack, or discover our wellness and prevention services available at the Sanny & Jerry Ryan Center for Prevention & Genetics.
Our comprehensive team of heart health specialists includes:
- Heart and vascular surgeons
- Vascular medicine specialists
- Chronic wound specialists
- Interventional radiologists
- Technical staff and other support professionals
Combining expertise and compassion, we strive to provide the best care for your heart.
Altru’s Heart and Vascular Services patients tell the story of our care better than any award. Hear about our cardiology patient experiences:
“I was so impressed with the care that I didn’t even want to go home.”
“They saved my life, twice. I can’t say enough for what they’ve done.”
“Everything must have run like clockwork, or I wouldn’t be here.”
Platinum Performance Award for Cardiac Care
In 2015, Altru received the American College of Cardiology for Cardiac Care-Platinum Performance Award. We are one of only 319 hospitals nationwide to receive this honor. Every minute counts to lower a heart attack patient’s risk of death and serious damage to the heart. To achieve this distinction, we focused on lowering the time it took to open the blocked cardiac artery. Learn more.
At Altru, we demonstrate quality through compassionate and individualized care. View our quality reports related to heart attack care and heart failure care.
Altru Health System has been ranked as one of the best hospitals for heart failure care by U.S. News and World Report. The annual U.S. News Best Hospitals rankings recognize hospitals that excel in treating the most challenging patients. Altru’s Heart and Vascular Services demonstrated success in preventing deaths, decreasing readmission and reducing complications such as infections among heart failure patients.
After analyzing over 5,000 hospitals in 2014 to find the best in the nation, U.S. News and World Report Best Hospitals ranked only 11 percent of hospitals as high performing and exceeding standards of care in the area of heart failure.