The Breast Imaging Program at Altru offers quality mammography services for women of all ages and needs.
- Breast cancer screening digital mammography
- Diagnostic imaging (mammography and ultrasonography)
- Breast needle localization
- Stereotactic biopsy
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 701.780.6157.
Digital mammography provides patients with the highest quality of care in the prevention and early detection of breast cancer.
The primary advantage from a patient's standpoint is a faster exam. The difference between digital and conventional technology is the process utilized to acquire the image. Both technologies still require breast compression.
Digital Mammography Benefits:
- Improved Clarity and Flexibility: The radiologist can enhance the picture by adjusting the brightness, contrast and can zoom in on specific areas of interest.
- Enhanced Reliability: Digital mammograms give a clearer picture and are reviewed on a high resolution monitor, which means fewer women are called back for additional pictures.
- Fast Turnaround: The picture is visualized in seconds.
- Less Wait Time: The technologist does not have to leave the room to develop the film, eliminating wait time.
Your complete digital mammogram screening will include:
- An assessment of your breast cancer risk, including your personal, family and medical history
- An interpretation of the mammogram by an Altru radiologist
- A written report sent to your primary care provider
- A letter sent to your home concerning the mammogram's results
To schedule your digital mammogram, call 701.780.6152.
Computer-Aided Detection (CAD)
At Altru, the ImageChecker CAD system is used in conjunction with film based mammography.
Our Typical Process-
- A radiologist reviews the entire mammogram first, and then evaluates the ImageChecker monitor to see if any areas have been highlighted for additional review.
- Similar to your personal computer's spell-check system, CAD serves as a "second pair of eyes" for physicians reading a mammogram.
- The system uses processing software to analyze the mammogram, drawing special attention to suspicious features that may be indicative of cancer.
- Our technology has the potential to detect findings that might otherwise be overlooked during the review process, thus increasing detection.
- October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
- Women who have experienced a mastectomy can learn more about post mastectomy prosthetics and clothing at Altru's Prosthetics & Orthotics.
Altru's Breast Imaging Team
- MQSA Certified Radiologists
- Certified Mammography Technologists
- Mammography Aides
- Registered Nurse