Occupational Health & Medicine
Altru's Occupational Health & Medicine offers comprehensive services to area businesses and their employees. These services assist in the general health and well-being of employees and are provided by a team of highly skilled professionals.
Altru's Occupational Health & Medicine Department is located on the third floor of Altru Rehabilitation Center.
For more information, please call 800.732.4277, Ext. 1546 or 701.780.1546 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work Injury Management
Specialized testing is utilized to assist the injured worker in development of appropriate vocational goals for the best possible outcomes in return to work.
- FCE (Functional Capacities Evaluation): A FCE is a standardized 1-2 days testing of work activities. Abilities regarding lifting, pushing, pulling and 17 other activities are identified in terms of frequency/percentage of a work day. It assists in development of appropriate vocational goals, recommendations regarding job/task modification and if a written job description is provided, our therapists can draw correlation between an injured worker's physical abilities and the job demands.
- WTS (Work Tolerance Screen): A WTS is a 2 - 3 hour evaluation in which specific job tasks are simulated and tested in a controlled setting. It assists in development of appropriate vocational goals and is useful in determining if a client can return to an existing job or perform the work demands of a new job that is being considered.
- Workability Assessment: A workability assessment is a brief evaluation of an acute injured worker in which specific job tasks are simulated and tested in a controlled setting. This information is provided to the physician and employer to assist with identifying current lifting and postural abilities to return the injured worker to full duties as quickly as possible.
Customized Return to Work Programs
Because injuries affect different people in different ways, effective work injury rehabilitation must be tailored to meet an employee's specific needs and goals for returning to the job. Altru's Work Injury Management Team consists of Physicians, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Psychologists, Speech Therapists, and Nurse Case Managers who assist the attending physicians in coordinating care for the injured worker. Our goal is to achieve the best possible outcomes in return to work.
Components of the customized Return to Work Program include:
- Physical Therapy: Altru's Work Team includes Physical Therapy staff that specialize in providing care to the injured worker through the acute, subacute, and chronic phases of injury.
- Occupational Therapy: The Clinical Occupational Therapy staff provide work hardening and work conditioning programs. The focus is to restore physical capabilities including strength, endurance, movement, and flexibility of an injured worker. The individualized program simulates activities that the worker would ordinarily perform on the job while incorporating pain management techniques, strengthening and flexibility exercises.
- Hand Therapy: The Hand Therapy Center's role in the Work Team is to provide efficient, comprehensive treatment of work-related injuries. Treatment is provided to any hand/upper extremity injury. Services provided include custom and over-the-counter splinting, wound management, and care of fractures, tendonitis, as well as sprains and strains.
- Psychological Evaluation/Counseling/Biofeedback: Injury, pain, chronic disease and/or disability does not only affect an individual physically, they also impact on emotional well-being. Learning to adjust and cope with changes in lifestyle, employment opportunities, interpersonal relationships and pain levels will enhance both physical and emotional well-being. Psychology will work with the injured worker in the areas of stress and pain management, adjustment counseling, coping strategies and relaxation training. Our goal is to provide the injured worker with the tools to help them move on with their life in a positive manner.
For more information, please call 800.732.4277, ext. 1546 or 701.780.1546.
Drug & Alcohol Screening Services
Altru Health System will partner with your business to provide customized drug and alcohol screening services that will allow you to promote and provide a safer work place for your employees and customers by deterring the use of illegal drugs and the abuse of alcohol in the workplace.
Drug & Alcohol Screening can be provided for the following:
- Random testing
- DOT requirements
- Reasonable suspicion
Depending on your specific business needs, Altru Health System is capable of providing customized services which include:
- On-site specimen collection
- Breath alcohol testing
- Rapid drug screens (results in 15 minutes)
- Access to a certified drug testing lab
- MRO services
- Education/training sessions
- Design/managing random drug screens
Altru Health System will work with you to provide the physicals needed in order for you to comply with your company policies or DOT regulations. The following physicals are provided:
- Federal occupational health exams
- Independent medical exams
- Legal exams
- Social security exams
Altru Health System is capable of customizing physicals to meet your needs through utilization of the following support services:
- Pulmonary Function Tests (PFT's)
- Respiratory fit testing
- Drug screens
- Therapy evaluations: physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Exposure management
Post-Offer Exams determine the need and feasibility of reasonable accommodation. It is a physical/functional test which is completed on each individual hired for a specific position.
The exam includes all essential job functions as identified per employer. Following the exam, the therapist identifies if the employee has met or not met the job demands and what modifications or recommendations would assist the employee within the job.
Worksite Wellness & Prevention
Altru's Worksite Wellness is dedicated to helping companies build and sustain results orientated wellness programs that can improve the overall health and quality of life of your employees. Worksite Wellness programs can help your company: lower health care costs; improve employee morale, productivity, and performance; decrease absenteeism; attain greater employee loyalty; improve your ability to attract and retain key personnel; and improve your public image.
Some of the services we offer include:
- Blood pressure measurement
- Cholesterol screenings
- Flexibility testing
- Health fairs
- Health risk appraisals
- Blood sugar screenings
- Body fat analysis
- Workplace ergonomics
Altru Health System will assist your company in providing immunizations to your employees to reduce lost work days to preventable illness.
Immunizations offered by Altru include:
- Hepatitis B Vaccine
- Flu Vaccine