Child Life Program
Health care can be a confusing and frightening environment for a child. Our Child Life Specialist seeks to ease fear by familiarizing children, adolescents (through age 18) and their families with the hospital or clinic setting through exploration and play. The Child Life Program offers:
- Age appropriate leisure activities to minimize anxiety and provide a home-like atmosphere.
- Preparation, preoperative tours and education for patients and siblings to help them cope with upcoming health care experiences.
- Emotional support and coping techniques such as relaxation, diversion and deep breathing.
- Encouragement for teenagers to take an active role in their medical experience.
- Special events to reinforce normalcy, including holiday celebrations and special visitors.
Pediatrics can participate in a variety of activities. Board games, toys, Playstation, Game Cube, Wii and crafts are available. Volunteers help our child life specialist create an environment that supports the emotional needs of children under staff supervision.