Health problems can complicate your life in many ways. They often increase daily stress, cause financial concerns and require special treatment. Members of the Altru's Social Services Department are professionally trained to assess a patient's and/or family's needs.
Altru's Social Services is available to all patients and their families free of charge. Your physician or nurse may refer you or you can request to see a Social Worker by calling 701.780.5345, between 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Altru's Social Services can put you in touch with many community agencies, including:
- County Social Service Department
- Lodging facilities
- Mental Health / Chemical dependency agencies
- Special education services
- Support groups for specific needs / topics
- Home Care agencies
- Public Health
Referral To Financial Programs
Social workers will provide assistance for financial difficulties by locating the appropriate resources.
- Social Security Administration
- Medication Assistance
- Veterans Administration
- North Dakota/Minnesota Children with Special Health needs
Illness and treatment can add stress to your life. Altru's social workers provide counseling and support services to patients and their families, including:
- Adjustment to illness due to stress and change
- Coping with terminal illness
- Coping with grief
- Education on illness and treatment
- Parenting concerns
- Vocational counseling
- Financial concerns
- Advance directives and living wills
- Employee assistance programs
- Issues related to abuse, neglect and violence
- Issues related to separation
- Child evaluation and treatment program
Discharge Planning Services
Altru's social workers help you through the discharge process, arranging:
- Nursing home placement
- Transfers to other health care facilities
- Hospice referral
- Special medical transportation
- Follow-up services
- Homemaker services
- In-Home health care/Home Health
- Use or purchase of durable medical equipment
- Home delivered meals
Safe Haven For Infant Abandonment
North Dakota law allows parents to safely abandon an infant without fear of prosecution at any hospital.
Infants up to one year of age can be safely abandoned at Altru Hospital with any Altru employee at anytime.
Parents with questions regarding safe abandonment can call 701.780.5345 (24-hour call) and ask for the Altru's Social Work Department.