Altru's Vascular Medicine specializes in the diagnosis and comprehensive treatment of vascular diseases of the circulatory system. This involves blood flow to the brain, arms, hands, legs and feet. We also provide individualized plans for patients with chronic wounds.
Altru’s Vascular Medicine serves both inpatients and outpatients and is conveniently located on the third floor of Altru Main Clinic.
For more information about Altru’s Vascular Medicine, schedule an appointment through MyHealth, or call 701.780.6400.
Stroke, peripheral arterial disease and abdominal aortic aneurysm are serious, non-cardiac-related vascular diseases. Early screening can help prevent life-threatening conditions or long-term disabilities.
Who should be screened?
Anyone over 50 years of age should be screened. If you are under 50 with any other risk factors, you should also be screened. On average, screenings are recommended every 3-5 years. Physician referral is not required.
- Family history of heart disease or stroke
- History of smoking
- High blood pressure
- Overweight or obese
- High stress levels
- Inactive lifestyle
- High cholesterol
- Carotid Ultrasound
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Ultrasound
- Ankle Brachial Index (ABI)
Exams are performed by a registered vascular technologist.
Cost for a full vascular screening is $50 (includes all three exams). Each test takes 10-15 minutes; your appointment will be approximately one hour from start to end. An after visit summary will include a copy of your results for you to take home and discuss with your primary care provider.
Vascular screenings take place Mondays at the Sanny & Jerry Ryan Center for Prevention & Genetics. To schedule an appointment, call 701.732.7620.
Our scope of services includes a full range of non-invasive testing for:
- Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) - blockage within the arteries of one's arms or legs due to atherosclerosis or other diseases, which may threaten the limbs. (Learn more about PADnet testing below.)
- Cerebrovascular Disease - blockages in the arteries to the brain that may increase the risk of stroke
- Chronic Venous Disease - varicose veins and other disorders that cause leg swelling and ulcers
Other specialized examinations include:
- Arm artery mapping for coronary bypass
- Arterial and venous tests related to dialysis
- Follow up studies for vascular grafts
- Special tests for Raynaud's disease and Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Vein mapping for peripheral vascular or coronary bypass
Schedule an appointment through MyHealth, or call 701.780.6400.
Chronic Wound Clinic
Altru's Chronic Wound Clinic is dedicated to helping patients achieve the best outcome for treating wounds and ulcers that do not heal in a timely fashion. Our team uses the most effective, science-based treatments for a variety of chronic wounds, including:
- Diabetic ulcers
- Venous ulcers
- Pressure ulcers
- Traumatic ulcers
Our providers work with patients and their families to develop individualized chronic wound plans.
Contact your primary health care provider for a referral to Altru 's Chronic Wound Clinic, or call 701.780.6400 for more information.