Altru's Volunteer Services
Volunteers are a valuable asset to Altru Health System. The presence and the assistance they provide enhances the quality of care we offer our patients and families. There are a variety of areas where volunteers can serve, and we are always seeking new areas of assistance. If you have a desire to help, we have a place for you.
Thank you to the over 300 volunteers who dedicate their time and talents at Altru Health System to create a better experience for our patients.
- Each year, 300+ volunteers provide the health system 15,000 - 20,000 hours of valuable service.
- Our team of volunteers consists of adults, teens, and college students with a variety of backgrounds.
- We look for the following qualifications in our volunteers:
- Helpful demeanor
- Caring attitude
- Respect for confidentiality
- Our volunteers receive many benefits at Altru Health System
- Meal discounts
- Liability and accident insurance while volunteering
- Free influenza vaccine
- Invitations to recognition events and activities
- Invitations to special Altru events
For more information, please call 701.780.5125.
There are several volunteer programs available as well as several areas to volunteer at Altru. No matter your age or interests, there is something for you.
Our program offers a thorough orientation and on-the-job work experience as well as an excellent opportunity to view many health related occupations. Specifics of the program include:
- Open to students who have either completed their eighth grade year or are at least 14 years of age
- Hours are one or two regular half-day shifts each week in the summer and once a week after school
- Due to COVID restrictions, the junior volunteer program will not be offered in the summer of 2021. Please check back for updates
The student program provides students the opportunity for experiences in many health related careers including occupational therapy, physical therapy, emergency department and pediatrics. Specifics of the program include:
- Open to students enrolled in post secondary school
- Hours include a two to four hour shift per week for at least two school semesters
- Orientations are held at the beginning of each semester in January, May, and September
- Due to COVID restrictions, the student volunteer program is on hold. Check back for updates on the program for Fall of 2021
Any adult interested in giving back to their community can volunteer. There are a variety of areas in which to serve. Find more information about opportunities.
Please call 701.780.5125 or email Cheri Desmarais, Volunteer Coordinator, to be added to our waitlist.
There are a variety of volunteer opportunities available, including:
- Ambassador – Provide a warm welcome to Altru. Greet all patients and guests, escort people to their destination, assist with transport and make deliveries.
- Blood Bank – Recruit donors over the phone before an upcoming blood drive. Provide assistance at Blood Drives to make the experience comfortable and convenient for donors.
- Cancer Center – Assist and support patients, family and staff in the Cancer Center. Provide snacks, beverages and deliver meals to patients receiving chemotherapy. Help with stocking supplies. Offer conversation to patients and their support companions.
- Cardiology and Nuclear Medicine - Transport patients by wheelchair between Cardiac Stress and Nuclear Medicine. Offer conversation and a warm blanket if needed.
- Endoscopy – Bring patients to the unit, offer blankets, refreshments and toast after procedures. Transport patients after discharge.
- Flowers – Create flower arrangements. Deliver flowers and a smile to patients in need of cheer.
- Gift Shop – Welcome customers, assist patients and visitors with finding Gift Shop items. Assist with checking customers out at the register. Help keep things organized and tidy.
- Inpatient Nursing Unit – Assist patients staying in the hospital by stocking their room supplies, filling water pitchers, delivering warm blankets, and visiting with those in need of conversation. Support nursing staff by stocking closets and supplies.
- Office Support – Assist with filing, scanning, data entry, answering phones, preparing mail-outs and other clerical tasks as needed.
- Pastoral Services, Patient Contact – Visit newly admitted patients, distribute information on Pastoral Services and offer conversation.
- Recreational Music – Provide a distraction and comforting atmosphere by performing music for patients and families in Altru lobby areas.
- Renal Dialysis – Visit with patients during their treatment. Offer water, ice, coffee as directed by nursing staff. Stock supply cabinets. Assist with occasionally calling bingo or playing a card game. Transport stable patients after treatment.
- Special Procedures – Make toast and juice for patients. Offer warm blankets. Assist with stocking and cleaning. Be a runner for items needed.
- Special Requests - You may be called in to work individually or as a group on mailings or other projects requiring extra help. You may answer telephones and serve as a receptionist during departmental meetings.
- Sunshine Hospitality Home – Welcome guests at the door or over the phone. Assist with guest registration and check-out using the hospitality software system. Assist with cleaning and restocking rooms.
- Student and Junior Volunteer Opportunities - Additional opportunities are available for student and junior volunteers at various times of day, in several departments including Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Emergency Outpatient, Inpatient Nursing Units, NICU and Procedural Services.
The majority of volunteer opportunities occur during regular business hours. Weekly shifts are usually two to four hours, available at several different Altru facilities.
Due to COVID restrictions, we are not accepting new applicants at this time. Please call 701.780.5125 or email Cheri Desmarais, Volunteer Coordinator, to be added to our waitlist.