Hand & Wrist
Your hands are composed of many tiny bones and tendons, making them a complex area for treatment. Since hands are used often in day-to-day life, they are prone to injury and chronic pain. Altru Advanced Orthopedics offers many advanced treatment options for the wide range of hand injuries and conditions. Our experienced hand surgeon, Dr. Brad Meland, focuses on an appropriate treatment plan for each person, taking into consideration their unique situation.
Are you a candidate?
To determine if a surgical solution is right for you, your doctor will consider these factors:
- If you’ve suffered a traumatic hand injury
- If you’ve been dealing with chronic pain, and conservative methods such as therapy or pain management are not working
- If you have lost the function of your finger or fingers
- If you are in generally good health and willing to follow proper recovery steps
- Other lifestyle factors, such as smoking history (Learn about tobacco cessation services at Altru.)
With the complexity of the hand, many different conditions and injuries can occur. Some of the conditions Altru Advanced Orthopedics treats include:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Hand and Finger Tendon Injuries
- Hand Fractures, Sprains and Strains
- Tumors on the Hand
- Congenital Hand Deformity
Procedure and Recovery
All hand surgeries are completed at Altru’s specialized orthopedic hospital, Altru Specialty Center. The majority of hand surgeries are same-day surgeries, meaning you will not need to stay overnight. Recovery will include hand therapy with Altru’s specialized hand therapists and limited hand activity, possibly including a splint for stabilization. You can expect to return to the level of activity you experienced prior to injury or chronic pain within 2-8 weeks, depending on the procedure. Your physician will determine your recovery plan and length based on your specific situation.
If you are living with hand pain, schedule an appointment with Altru Advanced Orthopedics by calling 701.732.7700 or through MyChart.