Program purposes and goals:
As a nurse co-op, you will be mentored one-on-one with registered nurses to gain hands-on nursing experience. Our program provides opportunities to enhance your technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills in an acute care environment.
Co-op positions are available in a variety of hospital settings. These areas include but are not limited to:
- Renal Dialysis
- Intensive Care Unit
- Surgical Critical Care Unit
- Family Birthing Center
- Emergency Department
- Same Day Surgery
- Ambulatory Procedure Center
- Behavioral Health
- Family Care
- The summer Nurse Co-op program begins in the middle of May and ends in the middle of August.
- The spring Nurse Co-op program begins in January and ends at the beginning of May.
All of the scheduled orientation dates are mandatory to participate in the program. These programs require attendance and participation for the entire schedule, except for emergencies and illness. Any exceptions or special circumstances must be discussed in the interview process. There may be opportunities to extend past your summer or spring program.
The Nurse Co-op program goes for:
- 12 weeks during the summer and will require you to work 20-40 hours per week
- 16 weeks during the spring and will require one eight hour shift a week
Co-op students are expected to follow their preceptor’s hours. Some units have eight-hour shifts; others have 12-hour shifts or combinations. Weekends are scheduled as every other or every third, based on your preceptor’s schedule. This requires flexibility to work rotating shifts, weekends, and some holidays.
The Altru Health System Nurse Co-Op is a paid position. Contact Human Resources for information on the competitive hourly salary.
What is my role at an Altru Nurse Co-op?
To contribute to the nursing process by performing patient care and non-patient care activities as delegated by a registered licensed nurse. Carry out designated responsibilities to which he/she has been educationally prepared and demonstrates competence.
When is my application due?
- Spring 2019 nurse co-op positions will be posted August 20 – September 15, 2018.
- Summer 2019 nurse co-op positions will be posted September 24 - October 31, 2018.
When will I be notified if I’ve been accepted into the program?
You will be notified at each decision point. Questions or concerns please call Human Resources at 701.780.5107.