Altru recognizes and believes that family and friends play an integral part in patient care. Visitation is important, but must not interfere with the treatment prescribed for each patient or infringe on the rights of others.
Please be mindful of the visitor restrictions and hours of visitation listed below to best help our patients in their healing process.
In an effort to protect our patients, those wishing to visit patients of Altru's Family Birthing Center, NICU and Pediatric Hospital must obtain a daily visitor code from the parent/guardian.
When a patient is in Isolation Precautions, all visitors must report to the nurses’ station for instructions prior to entering an isolation room.
Isolation instructions may include use of hand hygiene, gloves, gowns, respirators and masks as indicated.
Patients in Airborne Isolation will be allowed limited visitors, no children under the age of 18 or immunocompromised persons.
During times of increased influenza or RSV in the community, the NICU implements the following visitor restrictions:
- Parents of any age who are feeling well may visit anytime.
- Persons who are younger than 18 years should not visit at this time.
Remember, hand washing is important at all times. Alcohol hand rubs are available at every patient room.
- Visiting hours are flexible based on need.
- We will rely on our patients to dictate, limit or restrict visitors.
- Because individual stress levels increase with noise, we request visitors keep quiet.
- Visitation may be restricted to immediate family because of widespread flu or respiratory illness in the community.
Visiting hours conclude at 8:30 p.m. every day; after this time the facilities are locked. Anyone visiting after hours will need to check
in with Altru Security at the front desk of the hospital. After hours
guests will be required to show proper identification before entering any
Please be respectful of noise when visiting. At Altru, we believe quiet is good medicine.
- Use your inside voice.
- Let staff know if it is too noisy.
- Keep television or radio volume low.
- Put cell phones on vibrate.
- Use waiting rooms instead of hallways when on your phone.
Critical Care Units
Children under 16 are not allowed in the Critical Care Units. These individuals should remain in the main lobby or cafeteria and must be accompanied by an adult.
Altru's Family Birthing Center
The Family Birthing Center has specific visitation hours.
- Please visit between 12 - 2 p.m. and 4 - 8:30 p.m. (Mommy and baby nap time is scheduled from 2 - 4 p.m.)
- The Family Birthing Center is a restricted access area. Visitors must obtain a daily visitor code from the parent/guardian.
Altru's Cafeteria & Snack Bars
The hospital cafeteria and snack bars offer assorted items for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We proudly brew Starbucks coffee.
Prairie Winds Cafe (located in the lower level of Altru Hospital)
Breakfast | 6:30 a.m. - 10 a.m.
Lunch | 11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Dinner | 4:30 - 7 p.m.
Express (located on the second floor of Altru 1300 Columbia)
Monday - Friday | 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.