Altru recognizes and believes that family and friends play an integral part in patient care. Visitation is important, but must not interfere with the treatment prescribed for each patient or infringe on the rights of others.
Please be mindful of the visitor restrictions and hours of visitation listed below to best help our patients in their healing process.
In an effort to protect our patients, those wishing to visit patients of Altru's Family Birthing Center, NICU and Pediatric Hospital must obtain a daily visitor code from the parent/guardian.
Our top priority is keeping our patients, staff and community safe and healthy. It is vital for us to carefully monitor admittance into our facilities. Thank you for your understanding and assistance as we work to ensure a healthy environment for our patients and staff.
View the COVID-19 Visitor Restrictions Policy >>
Please remember, hand washing is important at all times. Alcohol hand rubs are available in every patient room.
- Visiting hours are flexible based on need.
- We will rely on our patients to dictate, limit or restrict visitors.
- Because individual stress levels increase with noise, we request visitors keep quiet.
- Visitation may be restricted to immediate family because of widespread flu or respiratory illness in the community.
Visiting hours conclude at 8:30 p.m. every day; after this time the facilities are locked. Anyone visiting after hours will need to check
in with Altru Security at the front desk of the hospital. After hours guests will be required to show proper identification before entering any facility.
Please be respectful of noise when visiting. At Altru, we believe quiet is good medicine.
- Use your inside voice.
- Let staff know if it is too noisy.
- Keep television or radio volume low.
- Put cell phones on vibrate.
- Use waiting rooms instead of hallways when on your phone.
Critical Care Units
Children under 16 are not allowed in the Critical Care Units. These individuals should remain in the main lobby or cafeteria and must be accompanied by an adult.
Altru's Family Birthing Center
The Family Birthing Center has specific visitation hours.
- Please visit between 12 - 2 p.m. and 4 - 8:30 p.m. (Mommy and baby nap time is scheduled from 2 - 4 p.m.)
- The Family Birthing Center is a restricted access area. Visitors must obtain a daily visitor code from the parent/guardian.
Altru's Cafeteria & Snack Bars
The hospital cafeteria and snack bars offer assorted items for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We proudly brew Starbucks coffee.
Prairie Winds Cafe (located in the lower level of Altru Hospital)
Breakfast | 6:30 a.m. - 10 a.m.
Lunch | 11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Dinner | 4:30 - 7 p.m.
Express (located on the second floor of Altru 1300 Columbia)
Monday - Friday | 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.