Breastfeeding is the ideal way to feed your baby and is highly recommended. The lactation consultants at Altru have trained our mother-baby nurses to assist you with breastfeeding throughout your stay. Our lactation professionals are available to answer any questions or assist you once you've gone home. To reach the lactation staff, call 701-780-5467.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
Your breastmilk is made specifically for your baby and breastfeeding provides many benefits to the mother as well.
- Your body provides just the right amount of nutrients.
- Breastmilk changes to meet your growing baby's needs and is easy to digest.
- Breastfeeding leads to less colic, constipation and diarrhea, as well as decreasing the chance for asthma, food allergies, ear aches, colds and eczema.
- Breastfeeding saves money.
- Night feedings are quick and convenient.
- Breastfeeding helps restore your figure. Weight loss can be easier, and it helps your uterus return to its normal size.
- Breastfeeding can establish a strong bond between mother and baby.
Nutrition when Breastfeeding
When breastfeeding, you need to eat a variety of healthy foods just as when you are pregnant. Breastfeeding does require 500 extra calories a day, which allows your body to make the milk required by your baby. Stay hydrated with eight to ten glasses of water a day and ask your partner for emotional support and encouragement.
For various reasons, you may need to use a breast pump. They are available for purchase and to rent from Altru's durable medical equipment store. The store is located on the first floor of the hospital.
For more information on available breast pumps, call 701.780.5822.