Hand Therapy Center
Altru Health System's Hand Therapy Center staff includes Certified Hand Therapists who have extensive training in the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand treatment. They have a unique understanding of all upper extremity problems and are able to create a rehabilitation program tailored to individual needs.
The injuries/disease processes that benefit from specialized upper extremity rehabilitation services include:
- Tendon lacerations/avulsions
- Cumulative trauma disorders
- Nerve injuries/compressions/lacerations
- Congenital deformities
- Wound care/scar management
- Post-mastectomy and lymphedema care
- Sprains or strains
- Impingement Syndrome
Evaluation and Treatment Specialized Care Techniques can Include:
- Pain reduction techniques
- Modalities (heat/cold, ultrasound, whirlpool, electrical stimulation, iontophoresis, fluidotherapy)
- Manual Therapy including joint mobilization and myofascial techniques
- Customized stretching and strengthening program
- Computerized work simulator
- Edema control
- Physical Conditioning Equipment
- Adaptive equipment training
- Task analysis
- Compensatory training and equipment
Even though a patient may call for his or her own appointment or another professional may initiate one, a physician's prescription must accompany the patient. Our staff will work closely with referring physicians, communicating and sharing information on treatment planning, goals and patient progress.
During your initial visit, the therapist will evaluate your condition. This involves reviewing your health history, determining how you could benefit from hand therapy, outlining treatment goals and developing a plan.
Altru's Hand Therapy Center is located in the Altru Performance Center. For more information, call 701.780.5973 or 800.732.4277, ext. 5973.