Heart & Vascular Services
Your heart is always on our mind. Altru's Heart and Vascular Services offers comprehensive heart and vascular care from more than 20 providers at locations convenient for you. As your health partner, our goal is to help you lead a heart-healthy, enjoyable life.
Altru's Heart and Vascular Services are based in Grand Forks, with specialists throughout the region.
The bad news: heart disease is the number one cause of death in America, killing more people each year than AIDS and all forms of cancer combined.
The good news: 80 percent of heart disease is preventable. And, prevention is easier than you might think. These simple lifestyle changes can have life-saving impact.
- Get quality sleep. Small differences, like changing your bedtime routine or turning off screens at night, can make a big difference. Most adults need between seven and nine hours of sleep every night. If you are having trouble sleeping, contact Altru’s Sleep Center.
- Eat healthfully. Boost your heart health by eating at least five servings of vegetables and fruits every day. Need help? Contact Altru’s registered dietitians.
- Be physically active. If you’re not already hitting the gym regularly, start small by going for short walks throughout the day. As always, check with your doctor before starting a new exercise routine.
- If you smoke, quit. Smoking cessation is particularly important in controlling and preventing heart disease. For more information about quitting, visit with Altru’s tobacco cessation specialists.
- Know your numbers. Blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol and weight can all play a factor in heart health. Schedule regular appointments with your doctor to keep tabs on these key numbers.
- Manage stress. Under stress, you may react with unhealthy behaviors, like skipping a workout, overeating or smoking. Relax or do something you enjoy for at least 10 minutes daily.
Learn more about preventing a heart attack, or discover our wellness and prevention services available at the Sanny & Jerry Ryan Center for Prevention & Genetics.
Today, we have a team of more than 20 providers across five specialties aimed at comprehensive heart and vascular care.
- Specialized Heart Clinics
We offer specialized heart clinics, including Altru's Anticoagulation Clinic and Adult Congenital heart Defect Clinic, for all your heart care needs.
Altru boasts three state-of-the-art cardiac cath labs providing outpatient and inpatient cardiology care. Services include education, diagnostic examinations, treatment and interventions.
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
Our cardiac rehabilitation program offers a mix of exercise, education and risk factor modification to patients who are recovering from heart attack, stroke or cardiothoracic surgery.
- Heart Surgery
Altru’s cardiothoracic team specializes in surgical intervention for diseases of the chest. A wide array of surgeries is offered, including coronary artery bypass and valve repair or replacement.
- Interventional Radiology
Interventional radiologists perform minimally invasive procedures using image guidance, providing visual road maps to safely guide instruments through the body.
- Vascular Medicine
Altru's Vascular Medicine evaluates circulatory disturbances involving blood flow to the brain, arms, hands, legs and feet. We provide individualized plans for chronic wounds.
- Vascular Surgery
Altru’s skilled vascular surgeons perform noninvasive diagnostic tests, medical treatments, minimally invasive procedures and open surgeries when necessary.
Our comprehensive team of heart health specialists includes:
- Heart and vascular surgeons
- Vascular medicine specialists
- Chronic wound specialists
- Interventional radiologists
- Technical staff and other support professionals
Combining expertise and compassion, we strive to provide the best care for your heart.
Patient Perception of Care
Altru’s Heart and Vascular Services patients tell the story of our care better than any award. Hear about our cardiology patient experiences:
“I was so impressed with the care that I didn’t even want to go home.”
“They saved my life, twice. I can’t say enough for what they’ve done.”
“Everything must have run like clockwork, or I wouldn’t be here.”
Altru Health System has been ranked as one of the best hospitals for heart failure care by U.S. News and World Report. The annual U.S. News Best Hospitals rankings recognize hospitals that excel in treating the most challenging patients. Altru’s Heart and Vascular Services demonstrated success in preventing deaths, decreasing readmission and reducing complications such as infections among heart failure patients.
After analyzing over 5,000 hospitals in 2014 to find the best in the nation, U.S. News and World Report Best Hospitals ranked only 11 percent of hospitals as high performing and exceeding standards of care in the area of heart failure.
View Our Facility
View Photo Gallery
Altru's Heart and Vascular Services features state-of-the-art equipment and operating rooms, three cardiac cath (catheterization) labs and specialized exam rooms for echocardiography and stress testing.