Heart Failure Clinic
Altru’s Heart Failure Success Clinic is your partner in caring for your congestive heart failure. We are here to support you and your family through entire disease management, helping you to improve your quality of life at home. Our goal is to help you succeed in managing your congestive heart failure.
- Shortness of breath or chest heaviness at rest
- Swelling or bloating
- Sudden weight gain up to 4 pounds or more in one day
- Fatigue or weakness
Why Heart Failure Clinics Work
Using a multi-disciplinary team approach [PDF] allows Altru Health System to:
Assess, evaluate and outline your plan of care.
Monitor your medications for optimal outcomes and any changes.
Daily monitor weight, blood pressure and heart rate.
Track sleep, activity, diet and sodium intake.
Utilize telemedicine services so advanced care is available to patients from a distance. (Eliminates the need for travel to Altru Health System, using live video conferencing and a stethoscope.)
Engage patients and families so they adhere to physicians directions and understand their plan of care.
Build on patient and family education to better understand their diagnosis, self-management and ultimately improve quality of life.
What to Expect if You've Been Hospitalized
- If you’re diagnosed with High Risk Heart Failure you’ll receive a referral for a home health nurse from Altru to visit you at your home within 2-3 days of discharge.
- The nurse will bring a small electronic device featuring a scale to check your weight, blood pressure, heart rate and oxygen level. It will take all your vital signs automatically and your vitals will be monitored remotely by the home health nurse for 30 days. The nurse will show you how it works and how together we can track your progress
- Monitoring your medications closely is a priority in the success of your care. Your nurse will bring a laptop to your home. Together you’ll be able to visit face to face with a Pharmacist as you review your medication list and talk through your questions. It’s important to understand why, when and what your schedule is for taking your medications. Taking your medications as directed will help improve your quality of life and reduce your risk of being hospitalized.
- Your nurse will provide valuable emotional support and education. We are in your home to conveniently answer your questions and support you.
- You’ll be scheduled with an appointment with Altru’s Heart Failure Success Clinic within 7-10 days. It will be important that you bring your record of your weight, blood pressure and medication list to every appointment with Altru’s Heart Failure Success Clinic. We offer telemedicine visits for patients in our region for your convenience.
- We welcome your family and encourage their support. We want to engage patients and families so they adhere to physicians directions and understand their plan of care and build on patient and family education to better understand their diagnosis, self-management and ultimately improve quality of life
For more information, contact Altru’s Heart Failure Success Clinic at 701.780.6236.