Vascular Care and Treatment
Altru's Vascular Medicine specializes in the diagnosis and comprehensive treatment of vascular diseases of the circulatory system. This involves blood flow to the brain, arms, hands, legs and feet. We also provide individualized plans for patients with chronic wounds.
Altru’s Vascular Medicine serves both inpatients and outpatients.
Our scope of services includes a full range of non-invasive testing for:
- Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) - blockage within the arteries of one's arms or legs due to atherosclerosis or other diseases, which may threaten the limbs. (Learn more about PADnet testing below.)
- Cerebrovascular Disease - blockages in the arteries to the brain that may increase the risk of stroke
- Chronic Venous Disease - varicose veins and other disorders that cause leg swelling and ulcers
Other specialized examinations include:
- Arm artery mapping for coronary bypass
- Arterial and venous tests related to dialysis
- Follow up studies for vascular grafts
- Special tests for Raynaud's disease and Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Vein mapping for peripheral vascular or coronary bypass
Peripheral Arterial Disease Testing
Eight to twelve million Americans have Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD). Many are not even aware that they have PAD. Early identification can not only prevent leg pain and amputation but also assist in identifying those at risk for other vascular diseases, including stroke or heart attack. Altru offers screening options for peripheral arterial disease and now has specialized equipment - PADnet - to offer baseline screenings in primary care settings throughout the region. Non-invasive PAD testing is performed by a physician or qualified technician during a regular office visit, saving you time and travel. Testing takes only 15-20 minutes, and results are securely sent to a specialist for interpretation.
Using an air cuff based method to identify obstructive disease, PAD testing provides data to determine medical or surgical treatment and guide an effective treatment plan.
Chronic Wound Clinic
Altru's Chronic Wound Clinic is dedicated to helping patients achieve the best outcome for treating wounds and ulcers that do not heal in a timely fashion. Our team uses the most effective, science-based treatments for a variety of chronic wounds, including:
- Diabetic ulcers
- Venous ulcers
- Pressure ulcers
- Traumatic ulcers
Our providers work with patients and their families to develop individualized chronic wound plans.
Contact your primary healthcare provider for a referral to Altru 's Chronic Wound Clinic, or call 701.780.6400 for more information.