Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States and includes heart attack, stroke, blood clots or other diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
Altru's specialists are skilled with the entire vascular system. Vascular surgeons do noninvasive diagnostic tests, medical treatments, minimally invasive procedures and open surgeries when necessary. Altru’s vascular surgery team treats people who have disorders or disease related to the heart, aorta and blood vessels.
TCAR (Trans Carotid Artery Revascularization)
TCAR (Trans Carotid Artery Revascularization) is a minimally invasive procedure that reduces the stroke risk with carotid stenting and endartery.
TCAR is an advanced way to deliver a stent into a blocked carotid artery. TCAR is an option for patients with carotid artery disease who are considered high risk for conventional carotid endarterectomy (CEA).
How It Works
- Performed through small incision above the clavicle
- Tube placed in the carotid artery
- System temporarily redirects blood flow and bits of plaque away from the brain
- Blood flows through the TCAR system where any plaque debris is filtered out
- Filtered blood is returned through a tube in the groin/thigh area
- Carotid stent is implanted to help keep the artery open, preventing strokes
- System is turned off and blood flow returns
- Reduced risk of stroke
- Minimally invasive
- Smaller incision
- Shorter procedure
- Shorter hospital stay and recovery
Meet with your provider to determine if you might be a candidate for TCAR.