What Is Hospice?
Hospice provides specialized care for those facing a life-limiting illness. Each of us has the right to die peacefully and with dignity. Altru’s Hospice offers comfort and support to patients and their families.
- Treats physical, emotional and spiritual needs.
- Provides care in the patient’s home, nursing home or hospital setting.
- Supports family and caregivers through counseling, training and education.
- Ensures the best possible quality of life through comfort care.
- Offers choices and honors the patient’s wishes.
For more information, please call 701.780.5258 or toll-free at 800.732.4277, ext. 5258. View brochure.
Comfort care is the hallmark of Altru’s Hospice. As your hometown hospice, we can identify helpful community resources. For Altru’s Hospice patients and their families, help is just a phone call away, anytime.
Hospice care includes:
- Nursing services
- Physician services
- Aide for bathing and personal care
- Spiritual, emotional and other counseling
- Dietary counseling
- Physical, occupational and speech-language therapy
- Medications for pain relief and symptom management
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Grief and bereavement services
Services are provided by a team of professionals, including:
- Registered nurses (24-hour access)
- Social workers
- Bereavement counselors
- Specially trained volunteers
Generally, services are covered when qualifying criteria is met. Services are eligible for coverage by North Dakota and Minnesota Blue Cross, Medicare, Medicaid, and other commercial and private insurance companies. Hospice services will be billed to your insurance.
For more information about insurance coverage, call 701.780.5258 or toll-free at 800.732.4277, ext. 5258.
Generous volunteers support Altru’s Hospice. Volunteers assist with:
- Medication delivery
- Caregiver relief
- Light housekeeping
- Transportation to medical appointments
Interesting in learning more? See the brochure on hospice volunteering, apply online here or call 701.780.1450.
Beyond offering comfort care to patients, Altru’s Hospice looks out for families. We provide bereavement services for both adults and children struggling with life after loss.
Learn about Camp Good Mourning
Hospice referrals can come from a physician order or request from the patient or family. Referrals for diagnosis other than cancer are appropriate. These include but are not limited to:
- Stroke or coma
- Dementia or Alzheimer’s disease
- End-stage renal, heart, neurological, liver or lung disease
- General decline in health status
For more information, call 701.780.5258 or toll-free at 800.732.4277, ext. 5258.
Unique Designations and Certifications
- Accredited by the Joint Commission
- Licensed and Certified by Medicare and Medicaid