Prescription Drug Disposal
Medications are a common type of poison for children in homes. Unused or expired medications should be disposed of properly when they are no longer needed. The North Dakota Attorney General established a Drug Take Back Program.
For more information, please contact Altru Retail Pharmacy at 701.780.3444.
Accepted at any drop off point: Unused or expired prescriptions (controlled or non-controlled) or over-the-counter medicines, including:
- Pills, tablets, caplets
- Ointments, creams, lotions and powders
- Inhalers, nebulizer solutions
- Liquid medicines
- Pain relievers (Vicodin, Hydrocodone, OxyContin, Fentanyl, Demerol, etc.)
- Anti depressants (Valium, Zoloft, Prozac, etc.)
- Sleep aids (Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata, etc.)
- Herbal Supplements
Drop Off Points
Altru Retail Pharmacy | 1200 S. Columbia Rd. | Grand Forks
(Yellow Jug Program)
Grand Forks Law Enforcement Center | 122 N. 5th St. | Grand Forks
This location is available 24/7. Use the red phone after office hours to gain access to the drop-box.
East Grand Forks
East Grand Forks Police Department | 520 Demers Ave. | East Grand Forks
Polk County Minnesota
Roseau Police Department
Warroad Police Department
For more information on these locations, please call 701.780.3444.
Federal Guidelines for At-Home Disposal
- Conceal or remove any personal information to safeguard patient confidentiality.
- Take your prescription drugs out of their original containers, remove the Rx number on the empty containers or cover it with black permanent marker or duct tape.
- Mix drugs with an undesirable substance, such as cat litter or used coffee grounds.
- Put this mixture into a disposable container with a lid, such as an empty margarine tub, or into a sealed bag.
- Place sealed container with the mixture, and the empty drug containers, in the trash.
- Do not flush. Check with your pharmacy or FDA for approval of drugs to flush.