Available Breast Pumps
Breast pumps are available for purchase or rent from Yorhom Medical Essentials, located near the lobby of Altru Hospital.
For more information on available breast pumps, call 701.780.5822.
Breastfeeding is the ideal way to feed your baby and is highly recommended. The lactation consultants at Altru have trained our mother-baby nurses to assist you with breastfeeding throughout your stay. Our lactation professionals are available to answer any questions or assist you once you've gone home.
To reach the lactation staff, please call 701.780.5467.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
Your breastmilk is made specifically for your baby and breastfeeding provides many benefits to the mother as well.
- Your body provides just the right amount of nutrients.
- Breastmilk changes to meet your growing baby's needs and is easy to digest.
- Breastfeeding leads to less colic, constipation and diarrhea, as well as decreasing the chance for asthma, food allergies, ear aches, colds and eczema.
- Breastfeeding is inexpensive.
- Night feedings are convenient.
- Breastfeeding helps restore your figure. Weight loss can be easier, and it helps your uterus return to its normal size.
- Breastfeeding can establish a strong bond between mother and baby.
Nutrition when Breastfeeding
When breastfeeding, you need to eat a variety of healthy foods just as when you are pregnant. Breastfeeding does require 500 extra calories a day, which allows your body to make the milk required by your baby. Stay hydrated with eight to ten glasses of water a day and daily intake of balanced meals and snacks.
For various reasons, you may need to use a breast pump. They are available for purchase and to rent from Altru's durable medical equipment store. The store is located on the first floor of the hospital.
Yorhom Medical Essentials has a variety of breast pumps and supplies available. With proper documentation and a prescription from your healthcare provider, these supplies may be fully covered by your insurance.
For more information on obtaining a breast pump through insurance, please call 701.780.5822.
Altru's Breastfeeding Clinic
Altru Health System and Altru Health Foundation are providing a complimentary walk-in breastfeeding clinic for breastfeeding mothers, as well as for pregnant women looking to learn more about breastfeeding their new baby. Altru's Breastfeeding Clinic is held every Wednesday from 1 - 2 p.m. at Altru Family Medicine Center (1380 S. Columbia Road) in the small conference room located downstairs.
At the beginning of each meeting, we will have a trusted expert speak on a variety of topics, which may include:
- Getting started breastfeeding
- Baby latching correctly
- Low milk supply and oversupply
- Clogged milk ducts and mastitis
- Preparing to go back to work and pumping
- Introducing a bottle to your baby
You will be able to breastfeed or pump as you wish, with guidance and feedback from certified lactation consultants and counselors, if requested. A BabyWeigh Scale will be available to check baby's weight and baby's milk intake during a feeding.
This is a great way to build your mom community with other supportive mothers through great conversation and encouragement.
Outpatient lactation appointments are available on an individual basis if needed.
The lactation consultants at Altru Family Birthing Center recommend several books, resources and guides on breastfeeding.
For more information, contact one of our lactation team members at 701.780.5467.