Prenatal Health: Education, Programs and Services
Being healthy can make your pregnancy a normal and enjoyable experience and prepares your baby for a healthy entrance into the world. At Altru Health System, we offer prenatal education, programs and services to ensure you and your provider are able to form a plan that fits your individual needs during pregnancy. Our goal is to make you feel confident and comfortable as you prepare to become a mother.
We offer prenatal appointments starting as early as eight weeks gestation. Key benefits of this early appointment allow you to:
- Receive information about how to have a healthy pregnancy
- Discuss with your provider any concerns or ask any questions you may have
Just found out you’re pregnant? Congratulations! Call 701.780.6900 to speak with someone on our team about your first appointment.
Altru’s Family Birthing Center partners with agencies and experts to offer you the most comprehensive information on childbirth, breastfeeding, parenting and family dynamics. Being informed will help you feel confident in caring for your new baby.
Download Our Family Birthing Center Guidebook
We hope you find our Birthing Center Guidebook to be a useful resource. We encourage you to read it through completely so you and your family will have a good overview of what to expect during labor and delivery. Being informed about your hospital stay will help you feel more comfortable and prepare you for your return home as a family. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact Altru’s Family Birthing Center at 701.780.5480.
- Baby Care Basics covers caring for newborns from birth up to 6 months.
- Breastfeeding Information is taught by certified lactation consultants.
- Bringing Home Baby is a class about car seat safety.
- Childbirth Preparation is designed to help couples prepare for the birth of their child.
- Comfort Measures for Childbirth may be taken in addition to our Childbirth Preparation class that focuses on ways to support a nonmedicated birth.
- Family and Friends Infant CPR teaches you how to help an infant who is choking and how to perform CPR.
- Infant Massage is a class for you and your baby, taught by certified infant massage instructors.
- Mommy Care Basics explains the changes and effects pregnancy can have on your body and how to take care of yourself during your pregnancy.
- Survival Skills for New Dads allows first-time fathers to learn from “veteran” fathers how to be prepared for just about anything.
View our events calendar for available prenatal education classes.
Baby & Me Tobacco Free Program
Altru offers the nationally recognized smoking cessation program, Baby & Me Tobacco Free. This program encourages and supports pregnant women to quit smoking prior to the delivery of their new baby, to remain smoke-free and to reduce the burden of tobacco use on the pregnant and postpartum population.
The goal of the program is to lessen the damaging effects of smoking on the unborn child, which include prematurity and low birth weight, along with maternal health issues that arise during pregnancy related to smoking. Following birth, the goal is to reduce the damaging effect of exposure to secondhand smoke on the newborn along with others living in the household.
Women who take part in the program are asked to pledge to do these four things:
- Participate in the four prenatal quit smoking sessions.
- Quit smoking and stay tobacco-free during pregnancy.
- Take a monthly breath test to show that she is tobacco-free.
- Stay smoke-free after the baby is born in order to receive a monthly voucher for free diapers for up to 12 months.
For more information about the Baby & Me Tobacco Free program, call 701.780.3642.
A North Dakota law enacted in 2001 allows parents to safely abandon an infant at any hospital without fear of prosecution. Altru Hospital has been designated a Safe Haven for these infants. Infants up to one year of age can be safely abandoned at Altru Hospital with any Altru employee at any time.
Parents with questions regarding Safe Haven can call 701.780.5345, 24 hours a day, and ask for the social work department.
National Websites for Additional Prenatal Education and Resources
The obstetrics providers at Altru can help you feel at ease as you prepare to bring your bundle of joy into the world. Call 701.780.6900 to speak with someone on our team about your first appointment.