Prenatal Health: Education, Programs and Services
Being healthy can make your pregnancy a normal and enjoyable experience and prepares your baby for a healthy entrance into the world. At Altru Health System, we offer prenatal education, programs and services to ensure you and your provider are able to form a plan that fits your individual needs during pregnancy. Our goal is to make you feel confident and comfortable as you prepare to become a mother.
We offer prenatal appointments starting as early as eight weeks gestation. Key benefits of this early appointment allow you to:
- Receive information about how to have a healthy pregnancy
- Discuss with your provider any concerns or ask any questions you may have
Just found out you’re pregnant? Congratulations! Call 701.780.6900 to speak with someone on our team about your first appointment.
Altru’s Family Birthing Center partners with agencies and experts to offer you the most comprehensive information on childbirth, breastfeeding, parenting and family dynamics. Being informed will help you feel confident in caring for your new baby.
Download Our Family Birthing Center Guidebook
We hope you find our Birthing Center Guidebook to be a useful resource. We encourage you to read it through completely so you and your family will have a good overview of what to expect during labor and delivery. Being informed about your hospital stay will help you feel more comfortable and prepare you for your return home as a family. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact Altru’s Family Birthing Center at 701.780.5480.
- Baby Care Basics covers caring for newborns from birth up to 6 months.
- Breastfeeding Information is taught by certified lactation consultants.
- Bringing Home Baby is a class about car seat safety.
- Childbirth Preparation is designed to help couples prepare for the birth of their child.
- Comfort Measures for Childbirth may be taken in addition to our Childbirth Preparation class that focuses on ways to support a nonmedicated birth.
- Family and Friends Infant CPR teaches you how to help an infant who is choking and how to perform CPR.
- Infant Massage is a class for you and your baby, taught by certified infant massage instructors.
- Mommy Care Basics explains the changes and effects pregnancy can have on your body and how to take care of yourself during your pregnancy.
- Survival Skills for New Dads allows first-time fathers to learn from “veteran” fathers how to be prepared for just about anything.
View our events calendar for available prenatal education classes.
A North Dakota law enacted in 2001 allows parents to safely abandon an infant at any hospital without fear of prosecution. Altru Hospital has been designated a Safe Haven for these infants. Infants up to one year of age can be safely abandoned at Altru Hospital with any Altru employee at any time.
Parents with questions regarding Safe Haven can call 701.780.5345, 24 hours a day, and ask for the social work department.
National Websites for Additional Prenatal Education and Resources
The obstetrics providers at Altru can help you feel at ease as you prepare to bring your bundle of joy into the world. Call 701.780.6900 to speak with someone on our team about your first appointment.