Living with grief can significantly impact an individual’s social, mental, emotional and physical wellbeing. Grief counseling is available for individuals, couples and families who have experienced loss due to death, chronic illness or other life experiences.
Our grief counseling services can help to:
- Move beyond grief to acceptance
- Improve physical symptoms related to grief (insomnia, high blood pressure, chronic fatigue, stress)
- Strengthen family and social relationships
Complicated grief may include:
- Prolonged grief: Grief does not have a timeline for completion. Intense grief, years after a loss, may need additional counseling support.
- Delayed grief: Grief that has not been processed at the time of loss will often reappear at a later time and require additional work.
- Exaggerated grief: Occasionally someone overwhelmed by grief may respond with symptoms that impair functioning (i.e. depression, anxiety disorders, substance abuse, etc.).
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 701.780.6697.
Meeting the needs of all patients, Altru Health System offers a variety of therapy services.
Licensed clinical social workers offer individual therapy for patients as they experience a wide array of reasons affecting one’s ability to cope.
- Adjustment to life changes (death of a family member, divorce, physical separation)
- Loss of functioning
- Changes or losses due to a medical condition
- Post-traumatic stress
- Acute stress disorder
- Relationship problems
- Personality disorders
Altru's Psychiatry Center works with families who are facing issues including, but not limited to:
- Behavioral problems
- Coping issues in children
- Helping a family deal with separation and divorce, blended families or families with children with ADD or ADHD
- Domestic violence
- Helping recovering alcoholics reintegrate into the family system
Our experts help couples improve communication and manage conflict. We work with married or unmarried couples to address relationship issues including:
- Divorce and separation
Group therapy has many advantages. Group members often develop a common bond and affirm one another’s feelings. Members no longer feel isolated; they feel supported by others who share similar experiences. Altru's Psychiatry Center offers several group therapy sessions.