Carbon monoxide poisoning



Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when carbon monoxide builds up in the blood. Carbon monoxide is a gas that has no odor, taste or color. The condition can harm tissue and cause death.


Symptoms include a headache, weakness, dizziness and nausea. The condition also can cause blurred vision, shortness of breath, loss of muscle control and loss of consciousness.


Anyone exposed to carbon monoxide needs to get into fresh air and seek medical care right away. Treatment usually involves going to a hospital to get pure oxygen through a mask placed over the nose and mouth.