Jaw pain



Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) and naproxen sodium (Aleve), can help ease pain.

When to seek immediate medical care

See a doctor immediately if:

  • Chest pain or shortness of breath
  • Pain radiates to the shoulder, neck, or arm
  • Difficulty chewing or opening and closing jaw

When to make a doctor's appointment

Make an appointment to see a doctor or a dentist if:

  • Dull ache progresses to throbbing pain
  • Swelling
  • History of clenching or grinding teeth
  • Pain persists or worsens