Floss and brush regularly as food particles might cause irritation. Pain relievers can provide temporary relief, but use topical drugs containing benzocaine sparingly.

When to seek immediate medical care

See a doctor immediately if:

  • Fever
  • Red, swollen gums or foul-smelling discharge
  • Difficulty swallowing or breathing
  • Injury

When to make a doctor's appointment

Make an appointment to see a doctor if:

  • Lasts more than a day or two
  • Difficult to work or complete daily tasks