Support Services & Social Work
Health problems can complicate your life in many ways. They often increase daily stress, cause financial concerns and require special treatment. This is especially true if the patient has a chronic health issue. Altru's case managers (social workers and nurses) are professionally trained to assess patient's and family's holistic needs, to assist in accessing and coordinating appropriate resources.
Referral To Community Agencies & Financial Programs
Medical case managers can put you in touch with many community agencies and facilities. They also can provide assistance with financial needs by locating the appropriate resources to help you with financial difficulties. Listed below are some of the agencies/programs.
- Social Security Administration
- Veterans Administration
- North Dakota/Minnesota Children with Special Health needs
- County Social Service Department
- Lodging facilities
- Mental Health / Chemical dependency agencies
- Special education services
- Support groups for specific needs / topics
- Home Care agencies
- Public Health
Illness and treatment can add stress to your life. Altru case managers can help you with many of the problems related to illness, treatment and stabilization. Case managers provide counseling and other support services to patients and their families, such as:
- Adjustment to illness due to stress and change
- Coping with terminal illness
- Coping with grief
- Patient / Family education on illness and treatment
- Parenting concerns
- Vocational counseling
- Financial concerns
- Advance Directives / Living Wills
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Issues related to abuse, neglect and violence
- Separation from family, friends and home.
Discharge Planning Services
Altru case managers continue to help you as you make plans to leave the healthcare setting. A case manager will assist patients they are following with:
- Nursing home placement
- Transfers to other healthcare facilities
- Hospice referral
- Special medical transportation
- Follow-up services
- Homemaker services
- In-Home health care
- Use or purchase of durable medical equipment
- Home delivered meals
How To Contact A Case Manager
Case managers will work with other providers to screen patients for eligibility to case management services. These services are available to all patients and their families without charge.
Your physician or nurse may refer you or you can request to see a case manager for a screening by calling 701.780.5000.